Tuesday 6 September 2011

Race for life?

I am starting to realize that maybe, indeed the world is how you look at it. You can look at the world as full of misery and destruction where you question the relevance of your own existence. Or you can see it as a wonderful opportunity bestowed upon you by the Almighty to give a taste of how it feels like to be born as human with brains and a whole lot of things out there you can do to make your stay on earth worthwhile.
And as we all know, things are easier said than done and I could not bring myself to look at the positivity of our existence. While it may sound very pessimist I would like to think it as being a realist. 
Now no one would like to come across as a boring and pessimist person and I am not saying I am not happy with life or anything of that sort.
As Albert Einstein quoted:  
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.”

 You can live life in oblivion turning a blind eye to everything unpleasant and anything that doesn't concern you or you can be concerned about anything that's happening and turn miserable or frustrated, even try to bring about change(however small) and form opinions to almost everything around you whether it affects you or not.

And I am struggling to find the perfect balance between the two. I am constantly pulled to the endless sufferings of the world and think to myself if my purchase of  the "Big Issue" from one of many homeless people in  London streets is actually helping anyone or not. While I seek towards the permanent solution of the problem, will this temporary help be of some relief? If yes how many "Big Issue"s should I be buying in a month and from which seller? Is it better to buy "Big Issue"s and help the homeless or set up a direct debit to Amnesty International every month? What about helping tigers and anti-fur campaigns? Or do I simply just choose to live my life focused on my own small world trying to make my near and dear ones happy? And although the second option may sound devilishly selfish, don't we all have enough on our plates to deal with already? Also, how can we expect to go about helping the mankind when we haven't helped ourselves first? As Mother Teresa quoted, Charity starts at home. 

While I’m yo-yoing between the two and haven’t found the point of equilibrium yet,  I realize maybe I am over complicating things and as my sister suggested, should live life each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment