Wednesday 31 August 2011

Anne hathaway(again) and Love as we know it


It doesn’t help much when you’re nearly dozing off at work and the late night movie that you went to watch the night before was only a tiny bit away from being a disappointment. And you start wondering, did you really have to try and watch the movie on the very first day of screening? 
I have no idea what is so addictive about David Nicholls' "One Day". I am so obsessed about it and I can think of no particular reason as to why I should be so. Maybe the notion of "soulmates" or "meant to be" got into my head too much and maybe it was my subconscious "romantic" self preferring the simple albeit unrealistic story portrayed by the book. Either way I couldn't stop myself to go watch the late show absolutely aware of the consequences the next day.

I can’t stress enough on how Anne Hathaway was a huge mistake for the role. Although I do have to admit that she didn’t do that bad either. All you have to do is trick your brain to think that Emma Morley is not that Yorkshire lass and you’ll enjoy the movie with Anne Hathaway. Other than that I think it’s my duty towards fellow movie watchers to inform them that, like always is the case, the book is better and in this particular case no prior reading of the book may prove to be a mistake since the movie isn’t that great when compared to how witty and emotionally charged the book originally is. 

Ok, all the moaning aside another major issue of the book is the nature of the relationship between the two main characters. Can people still be so fond of each other and have such never ending love even after 20 years? Although the two main characters continue to see others and even marry other people, is it possible to realise your mistakes and try to undo the things already done? 
I came across a new term "Polyamorous Lovers" today (was it just me who was unaware of any such thing?). Apparently there's a trend on rise. Two people who are in love with each other can still date and go out with other people with the consent of their partners. Sometimes this can be triangle or even quadrangle and doesn't necessarily have to be the opposite sex. How does this thing even work? It’s like trying to get the best of everyone. I can have a main relationship with one guy and then date another one only because he is very funny and my main guy doesn't have any problem. Is this new trend an attempt to put promiscuity in a positive light? Or is this a mutual solution to the ever pressing concerns of cheating partners?

Either way I can’t help question myself: 
Are we getting too modern and sophisticated and finding our own ways of feeding more of our selfishness and trying to have it all, all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment